Stepping Outside The Comfort Zone: Participating in SEA Teacher Project

As an education student, I’ve always heard that “growth happens outside the comfort zone”—but I never fully grasped what that meant until I joined the SEA Teacher Project. My placement in Solo, Indonesia, wasn’t just a teaching opportunity; it was a transformative experience that challenged my assumptions, sharpened my skills, and reshaped how I see myself as a future educator. Staying in Solo, Indonesia made me experience diverse culture and traditions, their traditional cuisine, and also the warmth that the locals made us feel at home. But why was Indonesia a remarkable place for a SEA Teacher like me? 

The Road Experience

The first shock hit me when I entered a car at the airport: Indonesia’s left-hand traffic. As someone who drives in the Philippines, I felt my heart race every time a car approached from the “wrong” side, because I thought it would hit us– but then I remembered that we were in Indonesia. Yes, I was informed that the driver side and the road side were different from the Philippines, but experiencing it first-hand was different. But within a week, I found myself navigating the roads with ease—a small win that taught me how quickly we can adapt when we embrace the unknown.



Culinary in Solo

Food became my gateway to culture. There was a lot of spicy yet delicious food in Solo, but Nasi Goreng Ayam, Timlo, and Sosis Solo had a special place in my heart and tummy. 

Nasi Goreng Ayam, or Chicken Fried rice, can sometimes be spicy but really delicious– which is why I order it a lot whenever we are going to eat outside. On the other hand, Timlo is a noodle with soup and rice. I remember when I got dizzy, my critic teacher in my cooperating school asked me if I wanted something with soup and my student buddy ordered Timlo for me for lunch. Timlo is a dish that feels home because its taste was almost the same as our Sotanghon. Then of course, the Sosis Solo– a fried rolled crepes with chicken filling is one of the best foods in Solo. I first tasted it during our welcoming ceremony in our cooperating school, SMA Negeri 3, then the next thing I knew was that I’m asking my student buddy where I could buy another Sosis Solo.

These dishes will be the first thing that I will find and eat in Indonesia if I have the chance to get back there in the future.



Solo Urbana: More Than Just a Place to Stay

We stayed in Solo Urbana Residences during our time in Indonesia, and I could say that it was a good place to stay. Locals called it an apartment, but for me it was like a condominium– airconditioned room, tall buildings, mini market, elevated garden, canteen, good internet connection, and also swimming pools. It provided the comfort we needed after long days of teaching. It also became the place where shared stories and friendship happened. I must thank Universitas Sebelas Maret (UNS) for a perfect place to stay.






Car Free Day and Night Market

How great it is to experience the car free day in Indonesia. Every Sunday, a street is closed to traffic, and locals gather to walk, exercise, and eat. But for us, we went there to walk, eat, and feed the deers.

I had tried one of their street foods which is called ‘Pentol’ – it is a steamed meatball, and I chose peanut sauce which complimented the pentol. There are a lot of stalls that sell foods and souvenirs, but one stall caught our attention because the guy was selling ‘kangkong’. We thought we could finally cook soup with kangkong leaves– it turned out that those leaves were for the deers. So, one of our student buddies bought the kangkong leaves and some carrots and gave it to us to experience feeding the deers. The deers were cute, and I enjoyed feeding them. 




Meanwhile, our night market experience was indeed memorable. It was raining hard on the way there, and we had to eat our dinner first while waiting for the rain to stop. A rainy evening didn’t stop us from exploring the night market. We bought Ole-Ole (souvenirs) and got a traditional hand fan (Kipas Tangan) from Mumuso—proof that the best memories often come from unplanned moments. 

What a memory to keep!





Cultural Night

In Universitas Sebelas Maret (UNS), there was an event called “Festival Budaya Nusantara” or “Cultural Festival of the Archipelago” where traditional dance and song were played by the UNS students. 

As part of the program, we– the exchange students from Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology (NEUST), University of Santo Tomas (UST), and Saint Louis University (SLU) also performed. We didn’t have enough time to prepare for a traditional dance, so we sang Pano by Zack Tabudlo and Raining in Manila by Lola Amour. I guess the crowd enjoyed our performance anyway– I heard them singing along.

It was a fun and memorable experience to perform in Indonesia during the cultural night.




Be Royal: A Tour to Mangkunegaran Palace

It was nice to visit and explore the rich history of Mangkunegaran Palace and the Royal Family’s background. It allowed me to immerse myself in its captivating history and gain a deeper understanding of the Royal Family’s fascinating background. 

Exploring the palace grounds and artifacts provided a tangible connection to the past, revealing the cultural significance and enduring legacy of this esteemed Javanese dynasty.






Tawangmangu and Yogyakarta Trip

Exploring around and keeping everything in core memory. I recommend visiting Tawangmangu and Yogyakarta, which are so beautiful and rich in culture.

Tawangmangu is a place like Baguio City– a mountainous, cold area. Locals there also use their crops to plant onions, fruits, and other plants. I enjoyed riding a jeep, especially when we splashed water from the river to our friends. We also went to see the Grojogan Sewu waterfall where we hike around 1,250 steps. We were so tired, but seeing the majestic waterfall felt so relaxing.








Meanwhile in Yogyakarta, we visited the Sonobudoyo Museum where we saw most of Javanese history, traditional clothes, items, and things alike. It is also the museum that contains the most complete collection of Javanese artifacts. 

I must say that our trip to Tawangmangu and Yogyarakta was truly amazing. Tiring, yet memorable. 











Teaching Experience at SMA Negeri III

The most meaningful part of the project was teaching at SMA Negeri III, Surakarta, Indonesia. Teaching the students in a multicultural environment is a bit challenging because of the language barrier. Some students find the English language a bit difficult to understand, some are shy to talk in English, but most of them are able to grasp the topic. I asked them questions and did activities, and while I was evaluating them, I could see that they understood the lesson. Although there was a language barrier, the students were enthusiastic, respectful, and collaborative. 

I also enjoyed my final teaching demonstration because of my students in XI-F2 section. They were full of energy and eager to learn. They participated in every activity I gave them, even the evaluators were laughing and enjoying themselves during the activity. 

I was delighted about their remarks on my final teaching demonstration. They said that I will become a professional English teacher in the future which made me feel truly honored. I will keep in mind their evaluation and remarks to keep myself motivated in pursuing this profession. 










Professional Growth: Lessons That Last a Lifetime


Before this project, I was shy and avoided speaking in front of others. But living and teaching in a new country forced me to step up. I even made friends with other Filipino exchange students and Indonesians, collaborated with local teachers, and performed at UNS’s Cultural Festival which made me say that music and education transcends borders.





The SEA Teacher Project didn’t just improve my teaching skills; it changed me as a person. I learned to be adaptable, confident, and empathetic—qualities that I’ll carry with me into my career. 


Solo, Indonesia, will always hold a special place in my heart, and I can’t wait to go back one day to visit my students, eat Nasi Goreng Ayam, Timlo, and Sosis Solo again, and relive the moments that helped me grow.






#SEATeacherbySEAMEO








Comments